Monday 15 May 2017

Audio Log File #75921-Rho

Voice [Male, 40s, no discernible accent, likely native English speaker]: Thank you for making the time to meet me, Captain Dae-Hoon.

Jun Dae-Hoon: “Captain” is a bit of a cruel title. Right now I am simply an unemployed mercenary.

Voice: Which is why I am glad that you chose to meet me, as I’m hoping that I can rectify that situation. I’ve been looking at your career record and I think that you have a lot ot offer.

Dae-Hoon: Such as?

Voice: You’re an experienced soldier, for starters. You’re listed as an elite-rated artillery gunner with over twenty years battlefield experience with a variety of different weapons systems and platforms. That alone would be a desirable trait.

Dae-Hoon: What else do they say about me?

Voice: You’re also a skilled commander and administrator who has ample experience with small units, bith on the tactical side and the operational needs.

Dae-Hoon: And does this information you have say why I left my previous unit?

Voice: I admit no, and I did want to ask you about that.

Dae-Hoon: Let me start by saying that it was not my choice by any means, and that I was forced out. You can understand that I am not happy about that.

Voice: Of course. I doubt that anyone would be.

Dae-Hoon: I should give you a bit of background. I was with Magyari’s irregulars for twenty years; I worked my way up from a mere gunner to a captain and the functional executive officer of the unit. Unfortunately, ten years ago, Bors Magyari, the then commander, had to take a leave of absence from the unit. He left his daughter as the acting commander.

Voice: Go on.

Dae-Hoon: But then, as soon as he was gone, she did everything she could to undermine his authority and seize the unit for herself. She trimmed off much of the unit’s personnel, and in doing such, weeded out a lot of Bors’ supporters. Then of course, she replaced them with new staff who were loyal to her. I was one of the few that were left; she decided that my skills were useful, I suppose, but even then she did her best to marginalise me.

Voice: I can understand that would not have been a pleasant experience. So how did she then force you out of the unit?

Dae-Hoon: There was a friendly fire incident. One of the gunners under my command - not my own crew, I might add - accidently struck one of our Battle Armour squads, killing their crew. While this was regrettable, it was an accident.

Voice: On a fluid, fast-moving battlefield, it’s impossible to account for everything. These things happen.

Dae-Hoon: Exactly. If anything, the real issue was with the discipline of the Battle Armour troopers.

Voice: Of course. So what happened then?

Dae-Hoon: Unit politics. I was an unpopular officer and the last remnant of Bors’ command, so all the blame was assigned to me as a way of forcing me out. That one of Magyari’s supporters threatened to break my neck didn’t help, but was probably intended to push me out. I was released from my contract when the unit returned to Galatea.

Voice: I am sorry to hear that. Politics has an unfortunate way of creeping into everything.

Dae-Hoon: And in this case, it has left me bereft of employment. Do not get me wrong, I wanted to stay with the unit. I wanted to keep it intact for when it’s rightful commander returned while holding back his misbegotten child from running roughshod over everything he had done. And she got rid of me because I was no longer convenient to her.

Voice: Which brings me to my point. I feel that you have been hard done by, and that it would be a waste to let a man of your obvious skills and experience remain without a place. My ampler is looking for a skilled and experienced artillery officer to head up their fire support lance, and they feel that you would fit the bill.

Dae-Hoon: What sort of rank and salary are you offering?

Voice: Admittedly, you’d be entering as a lieutenant. I understand that it’s a step down for you, but at the moment the unit can’t accommodate another captain. However, should a position open up, you would be fast-tracked into the position based on your past experience. At the same time, I’m willing to offer you a captain’s salary, regardless of your actual operational rank. Finally, if you were bringing your own vehicle, we would offer you full support and maintenance cover.

Dae-Hoon: It is a good offer.

Voice: I understand how you have been hard done-by, Captain Dae-Hoon. My employer is a big believer in putting ability over politics, which means that you would not have to face the same sort of discrimination and ostracism you suffered with your previous employer. Think of it as starting fresh with new people and a new unit. There’s no past here, just accepting you at face value for what you do.

[Pause]

Dae-Hoon: It is not like I have anything left to go back to. Even if Magyari ever returns, he would find his unit so changed and stripped of all the people he knew.

Voice: Whereas my new employer offers you a fresh start.

Dae-Hoon: It sounds like I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.


Voice: Exactly. So, can I count you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment