Saturday 21 December 2013

From the personal journal of Irisz Magyari

The new recruits are now formally into the unit. I took them down to the MRBC for a simulator battle, less to test their skills and more to see how these three strangers would be able to gel as a team. I knew that it wouldn’t be easy, given that they had never met before, had come from completely different backgrounds and had ‘Mechs with rather radically different capabilities. (Of course, the potential fourth lance member backing out at the last minute only made things a that much harder for me)

I’d put them up against Mao’s Rifles. Mao owes me a favour, and I think that he was hoping to get a victory over some rookies that he could use to bump up his unit a little. From what I’ve gathered, he’s hurting financially and his unit’s been taking quality hits, two things that rarely end well in the mercenary world. Unfortunately, the battle didn’t go his way, a fact made even worse by Mao’s using himself, his XO and one of his lieutenants in the battle.


Mao's Rifleman

 
I think I could best describe the results as “interesting” more than anything else. Takahashi very quickly took control of the situation and showed that the formal training he’s had (Definitely upper-crust DCMS) paid off. Not only was he able to effectively run his lance and balance their abilities, but he was quickly running rings around Mao’s men (Literally in the case of that Uziel. Randy loves his jump jets).

Things looked bad at first as Lee got himself hammered by all three of them, but he recovered fast enough. I’ve seen first-hand what that FL armour can do for a ‘Mech, and Lee was definitely getting his money’s worth (or however he got that Vulture, more on that to come) and came through a lot better then he should have. At first the response was rather scattered, but then things changed in our favour.

Takahshi managed to separate the BattleMaster, battering it with his Akuma and definitely getting better than he got. That drew it out, allowing all three of them to open up on it. They ripped its armour apart, but it managed to keep standing. A second volley saw it go down, hard, however, even if it cracked Takahasi’s shielding in the process. In response, Takahashi put his Akuma’s foot through its head. End of story.

Mao chose to surrender at that point, a decision that I don’t blame him for. He’d lost his biggest ‘Mech with little to show for it, and was fighting at a numerical disadvantage. If he’d pushed his luck, he and the Griff might have been able to bring down the Akuma, but not quickly. I’ll admit that I’m a little disappointed that the fight didn’t last longer, as I wanted a better impression of the newcomers in action, but I’ll admit that I liked what I saw.

Afterwards I introduced them to the base, the staff and so on, got them settled in and bunked down. We held one of our little mixers in the evening to get people talking and get the three of them introduced to those that they’ll be fighting alongside. It made for some interesting observations, let me say.

Takahashi is definitely a Drac and a Noble, no doubts about it. He mainly associated with the officers and Hadrian (the most obviously rich member of the unit) but was for the most part very stern-faced and businesslike about it all. He’s professional, stoic and the like, and not the sort for idle chit-chat. I’m not saying that’s bad, mind you. Not what I’d do, but at the same time, if it works for him then I won’t stop him.

Lee is pretty antisocial, but not in the same way. Mostly he has mumbled, clipped conversations and that’s about it. He makes a few short quips and tries to engage to a limited degree, but he doesn’t want to go too far beyond the introductions. I get the impression he’s hiding something about his past; he’s rather vague about a lot of points, and a little evasive (Though I’ll have to hear his space volcano story some day. Might even end up dropping an inadvertent clue)

Randy is definitely the most friendly of them, even if that’s a loaded statement. He pretty much buzzed around the room, talking to everyone who he came near (yes, even Mr Grumpy) and did his best to get himself known and get involved.  He likes to talk, it seems, and also wants to hear everything that everyone has to say, no matter how inane. He also drank two (!!) of Bruce’s “Coolant Flush” cocktails. And not just the regular, he took the double.


Ok, enough of that. Sleep now. We ship out to Hamilton in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment